Hey everyone! In this post I will be uncovering AMWAY and its structure, and I will review this company too. The main goal is to answer the question: Is Amway a Pyramid Scam?
If you don’t know what Amway is, let me tell you a little resume.
Amway was founded in 1959 by Jay Van Andel and Richard DeVos and based in Ada, Michigan. This company is known for selling various products in different niche which are household cleaners, health, beauty, artistry, nutrilite and their own water eSpring. They sell these products all around the world and the company made $8.8 billion in sales in 2018.
Throughout this review, I’ll look with you what Amway is and how this company works, what is its business model. Let’s dive in!
If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments at the end of this article. 🙂
Name : Amway
Founder : Jay Van Andel and Richard DeVos
Website URL : www.amway.com
Price : ??
Rating : 3/5
What Does Amway Sell Exactly?
So like I explained in the introduction, Amway sells a lot of products in different niches but all close to each other. These niches are nutrition, beauty, personal care and energy drinks. Let see these different products in these screenshots:
So there are many products that you can consume by keeping the status of ”customer”. In fact, starting as a customer is probably the best solution if you want to become an IBO (read the next chapter to know more) since you’ll learn what type of products they sell and if they are good enough so that you encourage people to consume them.
I personally tried their products and I loved them. They are great quality products and they have many choices. If you have a chance to try them, go for it, you won’t be disapointed.
Amway’s Business Model
Amway works with direct selling and multi-level marketing strategymulti-level marketing strategy. What that means is that Amway distributors, who are called Independent Business Owners (IBO), sell products to customers but they also promote the company to these customers so that they can become IBO’s too.
So you can buy products from Amway like any other company (you are a normal customer) and you can EARN money with Amway. There are 3 different ways to earn money with them :
- By selling products to customers ;
- By teaching and mentoring customers so they become IBO’s and sell, you make profit on their sales;
- The more IBO’s you form, the more you rank in the company (Is Amway a Pyramid Scam?! Let’s continue!)
You can check this video if you want to have more detail.
Who says rank says pyramid but that doesn’t mean it is a scam. Let’s find some more information before telling this.
When you take a look to these three ways, you may think it is interesting and that there is a lot of potential to make money with Amway. You’re not wrong but… You know that BUT… Let’s check out this brochure Amway shares on its website when you subscribe to become an IBO :
When you go in the chapter ”3 Ways To Make Money”, you see the three ways I presented you, fine. Right under, you can see ”How Much Can You Earn?”. Wow, it looks very fantastic to make money with this company! But take a closer look… Wait let me help you :
Take a look at the little numbers 2, 3 and 4. It is written clearly :
- 2 : ”Approximately 0.38% of IBOs in North America achieved at least Q12 Platinum status (but not Sapphire or higher) in the calendar year ended December 31, 2016.”
- 3 : ”Approximately 0.10% of IBOs in North America achieved at least Founders Emerald status (but not Founders Diamond or higher) in the calendar year ended December 31, 2016.”
- 4 : ”Approximately 0.03% of IBOs in North America achieved at least Founders Diamond or higher status in the calendar year ended December 31, 2016.”
It is written : ”The average monthly gross income for active IBOs was $207”. It doesn’t look like the Platinum rank.
So they are showing us the attractive income of when you become these glorious ranks BUT not even 1% achieved these! Sounds like scam to me…
Enough for this part, I think you understand the business model of this company. Is Amway a Pyramid Scam?
Let’s see if it’s for you.
Learn To Be a Marketer At Amway
Amway has a school? Yes it does. It is a platform that you can have on any of your devices so you can follow the training whenever you want. They say that they have more than 90 free courses on business ownership, selling and leadership. You can watch this short video to know more.
Is Amway Made For You?
So this chapter won’t be very long because it really depends on you and what you want to do. Amway offers products and an opportunity to start your own business. You can decide to only consume the products or you can decide to promote them too.
Since Amway is a MLM, for sure it looks like it is a really nice opportunity and for the ones that are very good at network marketing and that have a lot of time (I mean A LOT), maybe their MLM program can be profitable, but if I look at their brochure, either people don’t have time or MLM doesn’t work as well as they say…
Anyway, if you just like their products and want to consume them without promoting you can do it and I think that if you want good quality products, it is a good option. I tested their products back in the days and I have to admit they really are quality products.
Amway Overview : Pros and Cons
- As a customer, products are really good and not more expensive than competition;
- As an IBO, you have access to a school to become a good marketer;
- As an IBO, you can generate a lot of profit if you rank high in the company (not always accessible);
- The % of ranking high as an IBO is under 1% so the chance of creating a passive income with Amway is very low;
- It’s a classic MLM companies, not a system that I recommend;
- The price of their membership is not available on their website so I cannot tell if it can become profitable.
Is Amway a Pyramid Scam?
After all these information, can you say it is a scam? Hum, it’s hard to say so let’s answer the question this way. Is it a pyramid? Yes, because of the MLM business model. The more people you recruit, the higher you will be in the company, that has the look of a pyramid. Now, is it a scam? No. Amway is in business since many years now so it has made its proof. The only thing to be aware of is the MLM system and the fact that you might not be in the 1% making money. If you’re okay with it, then it’s fine.
As a customer, I think it is totally legit. You buy products and you consume them, it’s fine.
As an IBO, since I don’t know their membership’s fees, it’s hard to say if it can be worth it… I mean if it cost $200 per month and you need to find minimum 15 new IBOs for growing your team before making a single penny, I don’t know if it can be worth it. And the % to become in the top rank are so low…
Anyway, I would not recommend this company for growing a business with everything that has been said and found. If your main goal is to start a business and make money, I highly suggest you take a look at Wealthy Affiliate. It is safe, free to start and it is not an MLM business model.
Hope this review was helpful. Let me know if you have any comments or experiences to share down in the comments below! 🙂
- THE Best Training For Affiliate Marketing [Beginners And Advanced]
- Can Blogging Be Profitable – Making Money Online Has Never Been So Accessible
- Is Wealthy Affiliate a Scam or Legit – My Complete 2019 Review
- What Is An MLM Business Model – [Beginner Guide]
- How To Choose a Profitable Niche For a Blog – [Complete Guide]
- How to Develop a Mindset For Success – 3 Habits You Must Have